Jan 24, 2018

We got the Folsom Blues

Written last night:
Dear Friends,

Today Zing and I finally visited the town of Folsom that is home to the prison that Johnny Cash made famous.  It’s just a half-hour northeast of here, on the way to the mountains. I wanted to find an art gallery there that will host a quilt show soon. There it was -- between the police station and city hall, edging a park and small zoo. Then we drove around; on the edge of town we passed the monstrous dam on the American River; the dam makes a reservoir called Folsom Lake. Bordering the main road are green fields that look pretty until you notice they are sealed off by high fences topped with double swirls of barbed wire. (The prison is a main employer here, a couple walking their dog in town told me.) There’s also a state park and bicycle paths and something called the Johnny Cash Trail. When we got to the center of town I parked on a hill, remembering to turn Rosa’s front wheels to the curb so she wouldn’t roll away. Then Zing and I walked the few business blocks that resemble the set of an old-fashioned western movie. 

You might detect that I didn’t love Folsom. It must be the prison, because other than that it’s a peaceful, unassuming and nature-oriented place.

Love,
k
Zing and horse behind the Folsom police station
When Mary saw this picture she said, I don’t think Zing liked it either.♥️




The Folsom Hotel


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.