Sep 16, 2017

A homeless man sleeps under a quilt ...

Written last night:

Dear Friends,

Random things I learned today:

6:30 a.m. What is that homeless man sleeping under? A red, gold and purple quilt in the Lone Star pattern. (Zing was growling quietly, so there might have been a dog under there too.)

6:29 a.m. What is the name of the smiling woman, the one you often pass on her way to work, the one who warned you to be cautious because there’s a sleeping man on the sidewalk? Ramona.

11 a.m. Why did that perfectly-groomed, self-assured woman slip in ahead of you in the long Self-checkout line at Safeway? Obviously she was in a hurry. 

11:01 a.m. You could see the men ahead in line did not approve. No matter — no hurry. 

11:02 a.m. Why did an actual human being checkout manager motion for you to go to her cash register by the door instead of wait for the next machine?
“I’m just standing here waiting for one of those machines to malfunction, and I can’t stand it,” she said. "Let me check you out. And here, see this picture of how the world will be one day?” She flipped over her name tag to show me a photo of flowers, sun, and smiling children.  “Peace, love, happiness,” she said to me. “Have a good day!”

Noon, at Capitol Park.  Who was that woman talking to when she smiled and said, “How cute!” Not me — Zing, obviously.

2 p.m. Why is your washer leaking? I dunno. Let’s wait ’til morning. Maybe that puddle will dry up by then. 

4:10 p.m. Do you really need to go to Target during Friday rush hour? It’s the best time to check Rosa’s agility on this new route I just learned. (Proven: I street enters the freeway with fewer dodgy lane changes than P Street. But maybe you knew that.)

9 p.m. What does a vegan make for her husband’s birthday cake? Black bean brownies. (Happy Birthday, Jack!)

See? It wasn’t an ordinary day after all.

Love,
k

School kids at the Capitol line up to pet California Highway Patrol horses


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.