Jan 1, 2014

10 things about 2013

St. Marks Lighthouse
Dec. 31, 2013

Here's  my list of 2013's  bumps and blessings. All year long, when something changes me I write it down. I'm an ordinary woman observing the marks in my life, and no doubt missing many. 

  1. My quilt Hope was accepted into a national art quilt show, Sacred Threads, near Washington, DC, last summer.
  2. The art quilt group Sew Arty is thriving, with members being acknowledged -- and recognizing ourselves -- as serious artists. There are 60 artists on our email list. All have taken steps large and small to make our world beautiful in 2013.
  3. For the first time, there was an art quilt section in the annual Quilt Show at the Florida Museum of History. 
  4. I meditate kind of regularly now. I want to reclaim my spirit.
  5. I'm finally loosening my tight worrying mom grip to take pleasure in my sons as independent men.
  6. I bought a big granite mortar and pestle to grind fresh spices. 
  7. My hair is getting shorter… maybe neater… and my closet is nearly empty … got rid of useless clothes to make more room for earrings.
  8. Photos abound.  Instagram, tumblr. … even my iPhone takes high quality pictures. Last week I saw people taking videos and selfies after Christmas Mass in Jesu Church in downtown Miami. A sign in the new Perez Art Museum Miami admonishes no "professional" photography, please. Which implies all else is OK.
  9. We discovered Atlanta is not so far away, and we joined the great High Museum there.
  10. C. put duct tape over the camera lens on his iPad so nobody can see into our house -- it's a symbol, not a fear. Yet.
"If you stop thinking and rest, then a little happiness comes into your mind." -- Agnes Martin 





No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.