Jan 20, 2014

Faculty art inspires


I was surprised by this warning on the door of the FSU Museum of Fine Art. Inside, the greeter told me they post it occasionally, when a show might contain provocative art.

The FSU art faculty show suddenly got more interesting.

I enjoyed everything from a glittery snake on the frame of a mammoth oil (Mark Messersmith) to old signs cut up and reconfigured (Kevin Curry). But I was most pleased at Carrie Anne Baade's collage Parthenogenesis of the Muse. Baade has a community instinct; you may have seen her work at local art festivals. She created this collage upon a print of an earlier work that a female ancestor of hers created many years ago. This aunt was hyper-talented, winning a top art prize in Illinois, but then marrying a farmer, never to make art again. A trajectory many can identify with … although farmers are in a decline.  Baade builds  upon her aunt's foundation. And guess whose work seemed (to me, at least) the show's most provocative, perhaps inviting that warning on the museum door? Baade's. Go see for yourself.




Progress of Waiting
Mark Messersmith
oil on canvas
detail, below


 Open Come In
Kevin Curry
reclaimed signage










No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.