Jan 9, 2014

Notes from Lesley Riley's artist success webinar

This closet looks organized to me. The bulletin board has my work plans.
To-do list for Florida SAQA entry
I could not find my notebook on how to be an organized artist. It has notes I'd taken while watching Quickstart Your Art Business ASAP: An 8-Step Artist Success Action Program, an Interweave webinar featuring Lesley Riley.
When I did find it -- under a pile of other books --  I couldn't find the right pages. Since the notebook was almost full already, I'd just skipped around, writing notes in all the empty spaces. But now I think I've made sense of it: here are highlights:

  1. Schedule time. Use every five minutes to move yourself forward.
  2. Have visual reminders, with clear goals. Say I want to do ____ by ____.
  3. Seek your style. 
  4. Define what makes your art special and love that.
  5. Create a social media presence; choose at least two outlets:  blog, Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube … 
  6. Face your fears; common ones are about (lack of) money and being unsure of one's talent. 
  7. Plan your work.
  8. Market your work. Don't be shy. 

I'm not going to tackle all eight just now, but Lesley Riley has already led me to itemize steps  I have to take to complete my projects. For instance, I've got to learn how to manipulate the pixels before I can send properly sized photos of my work to SAQA.

As for #8, marketing -- I'm somewhere between Lesley Riley and my favorite artist, Agnes Martin, who said, " I paint with my back to the world." 







No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.