Oct 8, 2018

He does everything for fun

Written last night:
Dear Friends,
It was a busy Sunday and it’s already bedtime. But I wanted to show you this picture of the photographer Duane Michals (He’s second from left, approaching the desk.) at the Crocker Museum today. Decades ago, when I was beginning to study photography, Michals made groundbreaking work in series and portraits. He was my hero. Today he spoke around the corner from me. He lives in New York, but has a show here. He has a great sense of humor, and one of the best things he said is
"I do everything for fun” 
Here Michals is getting ready to sign books following his talk. That building beyond the window is where the Crocker family used to live. It is now part of the Crocker Museum, and the outdoor area between is where there are often concerts and other events. A guard told me that the first plan was to have the big window area be able to rise like a garage door, so there could be a roomy celebration area, but that proved too expensive.
Love,
k

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.