Jul 21, 2018

Hula in the Plaza

Dear Friends,
Wednesday, while walking near the arena, I talked to some women with flowers in their hair. They were here for a hula competition. Naomi, our ukulele teacher (also a master hula teacher) mentioned it too. So Friday Zing! and I walked over to the Holiday Inn, where the event is being held, to learn more. On the way we passed hula dancers practicing in the plaza outside arena. I am learning that hula isn’t just a Hawai'ian tourist attraction. It’s communication. It can be spiritual. And, no, it doesn’t need ukulele music. To me it seems like sign language and is an expression of native Hawai'ians. I love the strong island influence here in California.
Love,
k

Below, one group practicing in the plaza



No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.