Nov 20, 2017

News break

Written Sunday night:

Dear Friends,


Do you believe your news sources?


Today I went to the library to hear experts* talk about "Fake News." I hate that term, because I think the President inserted it into the national conversation for his own benefit — but I guess we are stuck with it. They said the predictable: we might prefer news that confirms what we already believe, and we should question our biases as we gather news. I came away realizing that the media are not respected, and that we all need “media literacy.” I think that means be more active and questioning -- remembering that most media are also businesses out to capture viewers/readers, and they might skew their presentation to lure us in. 

No one used the word lie when they said fake news. But that’s what it is. Depressing. 

I still love the news;  do you care about news?

Then, for relief, I went to the River City Quilt Show. 

Love,
k

* ABC 10’s Lilia Luciano, Kim Nalder of the Project for an Informed Electorate, and Chris Nichols, Politifact Reporter for Capital Public Radio

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.