Oct 20, 2017

Poetry at the library

Written last night:

Dear Friends,

You know I love poetry, and I am amazed to find that Sacramento has lots of people like me. Between noon and 1 p.m. today I joined in the monthly poetry reading at the main library, a short walk from home. It was a half-dozen people sitting around a table in a large, book-filled, but otherwise empty space called The Sacramento Room. It’s so simple. We each brought a poem to read,  A little discussion might follow, and then the next person reads. There were two women, friends of about 30, and a young man, an older man, Mary the librarian, and me. One of the women had memorized her poem (by Kentucky farmer-poet Wendell Berry); she said she recited it out loud every time she fed her new baby. I hope to return.

Love,
k

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.