Jul 23, 2016

Can dogs fly?

All day I’ve been trying to get Zing in the air. It might not happen. There are restrictions — size of dog, temperature of tarmac in each city touched. If you get the size of the carrying case wrong you will be rejected. You must freeze the water he will drink. Screws must be metal, not plastic, but metal covered with plastic is OK. Everything is listed on the websites, but there is too much to absorb. Surprisingly, every person I talked to on the phone was relaxed and helpful. But no answers yet. Zing and I will be at the Tallahassee Airport Monday morning, and they might take him to Sacramento. But they might not. If he does land, Patrick and Steph will pick him up at 11 p.m. and take him home, and then Tuesday check him in to a dog boarding home until I come.

Needless to say, I haven’t made my own reservations yet. (I began today by making reservations for myself, with Zing under the seat as a carry-on, but it turns out he’s too big to fit under a seat.) We might end up driving across the country. Or Patrick might drive Zing to Sacramento. Really, if Zing hadn’t been by my side this time of crisis without Clark, I'd be tempted to leave him in Tallahassee with my student who loves him and begged for him. But Zing is now mine, completely. We’ll see on Monday what that entails. 

BTW, Amtrak takes dogs, but only recently (late 2015),  and with many area and time restrictions. Zing need not apply. And no dogs on buses. Yet. 

Zing hasn’t been eating much at the hotel. Same food, different place. Tonight I’m too tired for a dinner search, so I heated some spinach and cracked two eggs into it. With crackers and wine it was fine!

After a day or two you get the workaround that is Residence Inn.

2 comments:

pdcrumbaker said...

So, out of your house and into the Residence Inn. You will be in Sacremento. So will Zing. I can tell. I'm psycho like that.

dc

Kathleen said...

Good to have psycho on my side!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.