Feb 25, 2015

Quick and good: Mary's Brownies

I'm counting moments; I want to make art and I want to eat deliciousness. I used to make great things and lose them in a maelstrom of recipe clippings, never to be seen again. And many times I would add this or that -- make changes and improvements without noting it. I am learning -- late indeed! -- to get organized.  I'm really paying attention to recipes we love. I'm going to add the label Quick for good food that is quick. Now, I'm going to draw!


Mary's brownies

Melt together:
1 C. butter
2/3 C. cocoa

Mix in:
4 eggs
1/2 t. vanilla
*May also add 1 tsp. instant espresso.

Then mix in:
2 C. sugar
1 1/2 C. flour
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix just until combined. Pour into 9" x 13" pan or two 8" x 8" pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes.

Variations:
1. Mix the brownie dough with 1 C. salted, roasted peanuts, or more -- to taste. When brownies are cool, top with 1 C. peanut butter mixed with 1/2 C. powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp. vanilla. Let that cool and harden and then top with 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate melted with 2 T. butter and then mixed with 2 T. cream.
2. When cool, ice with 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted with 2 T. butter and then mixed with about 1/2 C. powdered sugar and a little cream -- enough to make it spread easily.
3.When brownies are cool, top with cream cheese filling:

Mix together:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
3/4 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 C. confectioners' sugar
1 t. vanilla
1 t. cinnamon

Chill, then top with the glaze in # 1. 





No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.