Jul 12, 2014

Fig jam



I love our beautiful fig tree, and have finally come to peace with its abundance. I used to leave a lot out there for the birds, but I've recently discovered how peaceful it is to pick figs in the cool morning.  We have them for breakfast, sliced and mixed with lemon zest and sugar. My old recipe for fig jam was a chore  -- chopping up lemons and also each little fig. Here's an easier recipe. It's on the stove now. I'm making a smaller amount. It's easy to adjust. 

Fig Jam from Cooks.com

6 qt. boiling water
6 qt. fresh figs
Sugar
1 qt. water
8 slices lemon

Pour boiling water over figs; let stand 15 minutes. Drain and thoroughly rinse in cold water. Pat dry; remove stems Crush and measure figs, place in a large Dutch oven. Add 1/2 cup sugar for each cup of crushed figs. Add 1 quart water. Bring to a rapid boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 3 hours or until thickened, stirring occasionally.Ladle jam into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Add a slice of lemon to each jar. Cover at once with metal lids and screw on bands. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Yields 8 1/2 pints.



No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.