Jun 16, 2014

Still Fighting the Civil War

Still Fighting the Civil War: The American South and Southern HistoryStill Fighting the Civil War: The American South and Southern History by David R. Goldfield
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The South is not all magnolias and sweet tea in this troubling explanation of how and why (white) Southerners are still trying to preserve the pre-Civil War South that lives in their psyche but never actually existed. White men had their pride demolished as their slavery-based economy abruptly crumbled. Blacks were/are stymied for exhibiting business savvy or any other power. Women, black and white, are shown to be the realists and the persistent change agents who are inching the South away from a dangerous illusion. It hurt to read this disheartening description of the place I love. (Tallahassee is 30 or so miles from South Georgia.)


View all my reviews


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.