Jun 14, 2013

Almond-fruit Cake for Fathers Day

Blueberry-almond cake
More pastry than cake, this delectable dessert inspired C to say, "You've got to make this again!" That was a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday, when I asked what he wants for Fathers Day, he repeated, "Make it again!" Don't tell C,  but the last time I'd made this was 2004 (I jotted it on the recipe!). I think he said "Make it again" that time too ... and I did, nine years later. Sunday -- less than a month since last time -- I'll be making this again. It is so delicious and relatively easy that I really should make it more often.

Patrice gave me the recipe. You see they call it Pear Cake, but my notes tell me I've also used apples, a combination of apples and raspberries, blueberries (above). This Sunday it will be cherries.

Patrice's Homely Pear Cake

2 C. plus one T. flour
3/4 C. plus 2 T. sugar
2 T. light brown sugar
1 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 stick plus 2 T (5 ounces) unsweetened butter
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 C. almond paste
2 T. fresh lemon juice
2 t. cinnamon
2 pounds firm but ripe pears -- peeled, cored, thinly sliced

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Butter an 8-inch square pan.
2. In food processor, pulse 2 C. flour with 3/4 C. sugar, light brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the butter and pulse until it resembles cornmeal. Add egg and combine.
3. Turn the dough onto a work surface and knead several times. Divide roughly in half,  with one piece slightly larger. Flatten into disks, wrap in plastic or wax paper, and refrigerate 20 minutes.
4. Into food processor put the almond paste, lemon juice, cinnamon and remaining 2 T. sugar and 1 T. flour. Pulse until smooth. Scrape into bowl and gently stir in the fruit.
5. On an unfloured work surface (I think I may have sprinkled some flour first.), roll out the larger piece of dough into an 11-inch square. Fit it into the baking dish, pressing it three-quarters of the way up the side. Spoon the fruit in. Roll out the rest of the dough and press it on top, sealing the sides together by squeezing. Bake 55 minutes, or until golden. Make sure fruit (if apples or pears) is soft.
6. Cool at least 6 hours, preferably overnight. (This is a joke! It is delicious, if a bit runny, right out of the oven.)

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.