Apr 14, 2012

Paper quilt plans



We may offer a fun session on making paper quilts as part of the Capital City Quilt Show. It would be for all ages. I've made paper quilts with children in the classroom, before much was on the internet, so it was great to find these resources for anyone who'd like to try quilts without the sewing.


1. I like the YouTube above because it is quiet and  simple. It uses magazine papers.

2. I copied the materials and instructions below from this Disney family fun site.

It's simple, but assumes you are familiar with quilt designs. It uses colored paper, which makes a less interesting but more controlled piece than magazine papers. I would substitute card stock for the poster board square and make it bigger so there is some white around the finished piece. I would also cut two-inch strips instead of one-inch.

Materials

  • Colored paper
  • Ruler
  • Scissors
  • Glue stick
  • Pencil
  • 4-inch white poster board square
Instructions
  1.  Cut the colored paper into 6- by 1-inch strips. Then cut the strips into six 1-inch squares.
  2. Next, snip most of the squares in half diagonally to create triangles.
  3. Now experiment with various quilting patterns by arranging the pieces on top of the poster board square. Then glue the pieces in place.


3. This site from The Stampin' Place has example quilt patterns. I would not use the directions -- too complicated!

http://www.stampin.com/tips/quilt.htm


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.