Apr 18, 2012

Making little things



Making things without thinking -- just messing around, no furrowed brow, please -- that's been my mode the past two weeks. I dressed up this little wood medicine cabinet from Goodwill with paint, poetry, shells and sparkles. Now the mirror has been slipped in, framed by imperfect shells and memories from Captiva and St. Joseph Peninsula. I glued a little quilt inside the door; it hangs in my tiny bathroom.

This is inside. Shells are from Captiva.

Gretchen made me this heart, and I copied a favorite poem.
It's hard to write inside a box!

This is the poem:

It's the dream we carry
that something wondrous will happen
that it must happen
time will open
hearts will open
doors will open
mountains will open
spring will gush forth from the ground--
that the dream itself will open
that one morning we'll quietly drift
into a harbor we didn't know was there.
          --Olaf H. Hauge
             translated from Norwegian by Robert Hardin

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.