Jan 2, 2012

Mocha fudge cake



Patrice wanted me to get to Miami a day early so I could make this cake, which used to be my contribution to Christmas Eve dinner. I didn't, and thought this would be a season without chocolate. But when I met Grace at Pam and Joe's, her face lit up. She remembered my cake, from  many Christmases ago. Memory prevailed: I made it for New Year's Day.

Mocha fudge cake

Set oven to 250°.

Butter a round 9-inch pan with a removable bottom. Line it with heavy-duty foil. Lightly but thoroughly butter the foil.

In a large saucepan combine:
1 C. strong coffee
1 lb. semisweet chocolate (I use Kallebut semisweet. Don't use bitter.)
2 C. sugar
2 C. unsalted butter

Cook over medium heat until it is the temperature of a warm bath. (Lately I've been putting it in a glass bowl and using a microwave. Watch it, because the chocolate can burn.) Take it off the heat. Let it sit, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is melted.

Beat eight eggs lightly and then add the chocolate slowly.  Mix until well blended. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake 1 1/2 hr. The center will be shaky. It firms up. Let the cake cool, then refrigerate it overnight.

Serve with 1 1/2 c. cream (I use organic. It tastes better.), whipped with 1/4 C. confectioner's sugar and 1/2 tsp. good vanilla. You can garnish with fresh strawberries, or a couple spoonfuls of crushed raspberries.

From the Frog cookbook.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathleen!

Found your blog, after searches led to Kathleen Turner, the actress. Then I tried, "kathleen, quilt, cake", since I couldn't remember the blog name. Such nice activities happening, on the blog. I told A.S. that I was on it, and he laughed, "You're famous".

Captiva cabin was cool. Love to go back.

Thanks for the chocolate cake recipe. Great Meyer Lemon Jam, too! Might you share that in the future?

It was great to meet you and Clark.

G

Kathleen said...

Dear G,
I was going to send Pam the recipe for mocha cake for you, because it seems like a romantic dessert. But I see you've found the blog -- I haven't been checking for comments, except in recent posts, but from now on I'm going to check for posts routinely. I am so pleased to get your message and would have responded personally but don't have her email.

As for the Meyer lemon marmalade recipe: You can search for it -- just put Meyer lemon in the search box on the right side of the blog and it comes up. It's in the bog, from December 2010. I have a few hints written, but the basic recipe is

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Meyer-Lemon-Marmalade-102746

from Epicurious. Happy Valentine's Day!
K

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.