Sep 21, 2011

Untitled



I finally got moving on this piece -- I am NOT calling it Grief, although the image began with a summer news photo in a graveyard; it had lovely swirling lines like scarves in the wind. When the idea was germinating I privately called it Grief. Then I told people.

"If you have some grief you need to work out, then go ahead," one prominent quilter said to me at the Quilt Surface Design Symposium in June.  Yes, I do grieve ...  but her words didn't sit well. I don't make things for psychological relief. So I paused.

But I kept having dreams and conversations. "Grief is a part of life," said a friend who has lost her brother. "I know that by now. .. The first grief, that one surprises you. After that, it hurts, but you know you'll get through."

I do want to make this quilt. I love it already. Last week Agnes Martin surprised me with the answer: don't think. Trust inspiration. Thanks, Agnes!


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.