Sep 11, 2011

Dean Mitchell Speaks

Dean Mitchell after his gallery talk in Quincy Wednesday

When Susan left for vacation she made me promise to go to Quincy and take notes when the artist Dean Mitchell spoke at the Gadsden Arts Center (13 N. Madison St, Quincy, FL). It was part of the Dean Mitchell: Rich in Spirit show there until Oct. 29. So Wednesday I went .

Susan and another friend, Pete, both honor Mitchell's work; because of their enthusiasm, I'd already viewed the exhibit. Mitchell paints mostly the imperfect -- people, houses, barns that may be past prime; he conveys their nobility.

Mitchell seemed light and happy, and he often referred to his childhood in Quincy, acknowledging those present who had encouraged him. He said the Quincy and New Orleans scenes (and one mixed-media piece in the same mood) at Gadsden are only a glimpse of his work. He said he's driven to paint, often has 10 pieces going at a time, then sends them out to galleries across the country. "It's never finished if it stays in my studio," he joked. He said  family life in Tampa with young children helps balance his intensity.

Here are some Mitchell quotes:
"I don't feel a painter creates a style."
He said the basis of a good painting is strong, abstract composition: "I see shapes before I see anything else."
"We have to feed our souls … We live in a world now where there is so much emphasis on materialism and not character-building."
"I remember the dime store catty-corner from here, where my grandmother bought me my first paint-by-numbers set."
"A great artist is in touch with his emotions …"
"When I paint those structures, it's more than just a building. My work is to pinpoint certain moments in time … We are all just here for a very fleeting moment … We're all in some way interconnected."
On how he chooses his subjects: "They have a certain richness of character."
"I love being creative. It's a fun thing, being an artist."

"For people to be moved by your work, it has to come from your soul."

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.