Aug 3, 2011

Mom's Nut Rolls


When we lived in Steubenville, Ohio, we had many Polish friends, & they made nut rolls. Mom tried lots of their recipes. I remember large ones sliced into pinwheels. Some were heavy & bread-y, & some were less than sweet. Then Mom found these.

Mom's Nut Rolls

(I usually make half this recipe.)
1. Cut 5 C. flour into 1/2 pound sweet butter. (I use the food processor.)
2. Add 1 tsp. salt.
3. Mound this on wax paper. Shape a hole in the center. Into this break 3 eggs. Mix with your hands.
4. Soften 1 1/2 envelopes dry yeast (or 1 1/2 cake) in 1 C. canned milk or heavy cream. (I prefer the cream .) Add this to the flour, half at a time. Mix with your hands.
5. Then roll into a big ball & wrap in wax paper. Keep overnight in the refrigerator.
6. The next day, make the filling. Mix 1 1/4 C. toasted walnuts, ground. I use the Mouli mill -- I like doing it by hand; think this makes a better texture than grinding in the food processor. Mix the ground nuts with 1/2 C. sugar.
7. Roll out the dough on wax paper heavily covered with granulated sugar. Cut into squares.
8. Add 1 tsp. or more of the filling, press it down into the dough, & roll up, shaping into crescents. Place on parchment-covered cookie sheet. (Cookies can be frozen at this point.)
9. Sprinkle generously with sparkling sugar crystals. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes, or until light brown at edges.

3 comments:

Belle said...

A Family recipe for nut rolls was lost and these look exactly like the ones we made. Maybe I am just not seeing them, but where are the ingredients for the filling, all I see are nuts listed? I would love to surprise my mother with these for the holidays!

Anonymous said...

These look just like my Aunt Ann's recipe.I lost the cookie recipe so TY) but have the filling.
12 oz of honey
2 lbs walnuts-we did not toast them
1/4 cup milk

I'm sure this needs to be cut in half too.

Kathleen said...

Mom's filling is 1 1/4 C. ground nuts, mixed with 1/2 C. sugar. She puts about 1 tsp. in each cookie. I made the whole amount for half the dough recipe, and filled generously. I'm going to correct the blog right now! I am sorry for the omission. The honey-nut filling sounds scrumptious too, and I would definitely cut that one in half. Hope your Mom gets some delicious nut rolls -- they are wonderful any time of year. I often make them for Easter.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.