Jul 17, 2011

Collage 1


I got so wrapped up in April Saler's collage class at LeMoyne Sunday that I forgot to take notes or even a photo. So, quick, before I forget, here's my "collage" & a couple of Aprilisms. She is clear & opinionated. You don't misunderstand this artist!

1. Don't be stingy. Buy good paper (Arches cold press watercolor) & acrylic medium; brushes don't have to be expensive, just not too hard & not too soft. . .
2. April hates Mod Podge. Expensive, not flexible, just plain unprofessional. Ditto Liquitex medium. Watered-down. Don't use it. Use acrylic medium from a real art store, like Utrecht brand. Dick Blick & Jerry's Artarama are good online art sources. Oh -- medium is paint minus pigment. (When you're a beginner it's all a mystery.)
3. How to adhere stuff to paper: First, dip your brush into water. Then get rid of most of the water--no dripping, just a wet brush. Then dip it --go ahead, dip it deep, don't dab it -- into the medium. Don't be stingy.
4. "Paint" the medium on the area of paper you will be using. Use enough, not too much.
5. Lay down the picture or other collage goodie.
6. "Paint" medium over the top, starting in the center & going around in a circle like a clock.
7. Then "paint" lengthwise.

We practiced sticking papers to the base. I used too much water, so the paper warped & the picture wrinkled. I'll get the feel soon enough.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.