Jun 8, 2020

Patrice's Spaghetti Bolognese

Wonderful how some things taste even better now!

Patrice and Mary and I were talking about food on our Sunday Zoom and I told Patrice that her long-ago Spaghetti Bolognese recipe is still fabulous. I made it last week, substituting Italian chicken sausage for the beef-pork-veal. Mary asked for the recipe.

Patrice's Spaghetti Bolognese
Serves 4

3 T. butter
4 slices bacon, chopped (I used a little less)
1 stalk celery
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 T. (olive) oil
1/3 pound ground beef
1/3 pound ground pork
1/3 pound ground veal
1/2 C. white wine
2 C. good beef stock
3 T. tomato paste
1 tsp. dried oregano
grated nutmeg (fresh is best)
salt and pepper to taste
1 C. heavy cream (I used less -- Really!)
1 pound spaghetti
fresh-grated Parmesan cheese

1. Melt butter. Sauté bacon, onion, celery. Cook uncovered, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Set aside.( I crisped the bacon then put the pieces on a plate, added a little butter and sautéed the onion and celery in it until softened.) Put all on a plate.

2 Brown the meat, then add wine. Cook on high until most of wine evaporates. Add salt and pepper, reserved vegetables and bacon, beef stock, tomato paste, oregano and nutmeg.

3.  Simmer partially covered until reduced to a thick sauce (40-60 minutes).

4. Just before serving add all or some of the cream. Heat until it's warm, but do not boil.

5. Serve on spaghetti on hot plates with some grated Parmesan.

6. Good with antipasto and good bread,




No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.