Jun 28, 2020

More class notes

1. Drawing with high-flow acrylic (or not)


High flow acrylic paint is almost like ink, except its pigment is ground fine rather than dissolved. It has the characteristics of watercolor, but it is water-resistant when it dries. I didn't have high flow acrylic, so I used Higgins Black India Ink. It is better to draw with the high flow because the images are stable. I didn't add watercolor to my drawings -- if I had the drawing lines would get smeared.

Esté calls this theme haberdashery, which in England means sewing-related. Dilute your paint with up to 50% water. Write the ABC's. Turn the letters into something sewing-related.



2. How to make pink with  red paint


Paint
Magenta
Pyrrole Red
Alizarin Crimson
Burnt Sienna
Quin Gold Deep

Pointed Mop Brush

Paint blossoms petal by petal. You can use the brush, your fingers, or even a mushroom. (I didn't have mushrooms, but this appeals to me.) First paint with water, then add a little paint, maybe two rosy colors, and dab it up with a paper towel. You can also dilute the paint with water and apply directly. Add details with the gold, yellow and brown BEST  after the flowers have dried.

If you want to add stems, try to mix Paynes Graywith Hansa Yellow to make a sage green.




3. Using matte medium  and learning to make good purple


Paints
Pyrrole Red
Alizaron Crimson
Magenta
Ultramarine
Pthalo Blue

Matte medium
mop brush
fan brush
dagger brush


Primary red + primary blue = flat maroon
Crimson + Ultramarine + rich purple
Magenta is essential for vibrant purple

Make teardrop paisley shapes with the mop brush.
Use the fan and dagger brushes to add texture.
Cut these shapes out and make them into stencils.

There was more to this lesson, but I didn't enjoy it and I don't like what I ended up with. Maybe I'll show you -- don't have a photo now.

The next two projects didn't inspire me, so I didn't do them. * I must have been in a low place for three days. That's easy to do with an online class offering no credit and where you don't have to look the teacher in the face. Here are my notes, and I hope I straighten up and complete the projects soon! They sound enchanting now.
*Now, a month later, I'm working on them.

4. Drawing lace, controlling that pen


1. Make lacy designs using  repeated letters of the alphabet. Practice with a fine liner -- a pen with water-resistant ink that will not smear when used with watercolor layering -- or dip pen with black acrylic ink or diluted high flow paint. See how different letters and different angles change the outcome. Move the paper around. (I think I'd like doing this! Maybe I was grumpy because I've read about lacemakers in France going blind with their work.)
2. Now get serious and cover a sheet of watercolor paper with black high flow mixed with matte medium. You shouldn't need more than a teaspoon of high flow. Esté says you can cover up a piece you don't like -- my purple paisley will see a second life!)

3. Draw lace like you practiced, using white high flow. Esté says don't dilute the white. She says you can expect it to dry on the pen, so wash the point it off regularly.


5. Making rounded shapes on flat paper or
 Tone gradations = dimension 

Paints
reds and yellows
Brushes: flat and mop

*Artist's Tip: Use separate brushes for acrylic  and watercolor.

Paint bulbous forms -- as for Christmas ornaments -- with flat brush. Start on edge, paint toward middle. Use a few colors. Add the white high flow in the center., while watercolor is still wet. But don't mix them!

6. Making paper lanterns that really glow:





















No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.