Mar 23, 2018

Activism here and now

Written last night:
Dear Friends,
Looks like the Sacramento Kings won tonight … to a sparse crowd. I’m sure you know that most fans were turned away because protestors blocked the arena where the game was held, to draw attention to the Sacramento police killing of a young black man who was "armed" with a cellphone. 

Police were at the freeway entrance near the arena at about 5 p.m. as I was heading to my ukulele class. Then, when I headed back an hour later, there was a traffic jam at my exit. I thought it meant there might be a game (OK, I’m clueless… there WAS a game...) But traffic was almost frozen, and cops lined the way. Finally I got where I was going — the Crocker Museum, to hear a panel discuss Art and Activism. It was mostly about the past,  while the present was flashing  on freeway right outside. I left early. 

Here’s a video of the arena (It’s the building that looks kind of like blocks just past the lights.) that I took from my balcony. Looks like they’re leaving the game, with police lights flashing.

Love,
k




No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.