Sep 3, 2015

Series 4: veering from plan




Seduced by paint,  I have detoured from my plan to make a series of quilts. A couple of months ago, dazzled by my own sense of organization, I outlined what I wanted to make (Yes, I did want to!), then created a few flower paintings to warm up for the floral quilts. And never quit. There's paint on my pants and on my hands, and dripped on the floor too.

I haven't abandoned flowers. I thought they'd get to be a bore, but instead found that forever isn't long enough to absorb floral color and variety and life.

Flowers are in. Color is in. I've stuck to that much of my series plan. Stripes and mandalas are on hold. I'm spending lots of time painting (The colors, when I mix them, turn into other colors!) I'm making a glorious mess.

Thanks to Google and a visit last month to the Quilt National exhibit in Athens, Ohio, I have been able to observe how others combine paint with quilting. I'm now "drawing" on fabric using black thread and free-motion quilting, then painting inside the designs: flowers, for now.

This may be a series of sorts, based on the gorgeousness of flowers and fabric. And paint.



2 comments:

Ellen Lindner said...

Hi Kathleen,

I think "veering from the plan" IS the plan for artists. It's so exciting to get a new idea and just jump on it! I love that! Keep going. Your first example is lovely.

BTW, I was looking at the Southern Accents catalog last night and appreciating - again - the statement with your piece. It's perfect.

Kathleen said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Ellen!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.