Sep 23, 2015

Flower series 5: Happy heart

Happy heart
32" x 36"
paint and stitch
I love Happy Heart!
Of course, there was a moment when I wanted to throw her away (her??) That happens.
I like how my original small flowered heart transforms dramatically when enlarged. I copied the original onto a transparency and enlarged it. using the overhead projector that Maureen so kindly insisted I keep. (Sure does come in handy, Maureen! Thank you!)
I drew the lines in pencil on white Kona cotton, lightly so the pencil wouldn't show on the finished piece.
Then I sewed over the lines with black thread, using free-motion stitching. It was miserable! Even if I blasted light on the piece, I could barely see the lines. Then I used Mark-B-Gone, with trepidation. It's as blue as this quilt! It's hard to believe the color will wash out with cold water. I tested it first. Still I worried my piece would be ruined by blue. Probably everyone who uses the stuff feels the same way at first.
Before quilt-drawing I layered the Kona with felt and white duck. (Yes, purists, I confess I used spray adhesive. I love it!) The thing is, that felt is wool. I love wool felt.
After  the design was all stitched in black -- my machine was like a drawing tool -- I held my breath and ran cold water over the piece. I held it over the bathtub, and in a flash the blue ran down the drain. I sighed big time! 
Alas, too soon! 
Did you know that wool felt shrinks in a second?? 
My quilt was all scrunched up. Lots of people do this on purpose, but I did it by accident. Suddenly my quilt was very QUILTY. The design was bumpy, thanks to shrinkage. I was sad. 
Then I was happy. I love it the texture!
After that, painting.
This, too, was a delight. I expected to be bored to death, coloring within the lines of my flowers. But it was peaceful and fun.
It helped that I had made a dozen preliminary drawings, mixing paint and then trying out this and that combination. 
It still needs at least stitching around the edges. Maybe a simple facing. 
But I have a happy heart.


** Series note: You are right, Ellen! veering from guidelines is the definition of art. My series is far from what I'd envisioned. It turns out I'm exploring paint-related quilting techniques, doing what's fun rather than following the rules I'd set for myself. It's still about flowers, quilting, and color, with Beatriz Milhazes as my distant teacher. A series, it turns out, can be exploration. Boundaries are for leaping.

detail
Happy Heart

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.