Oct 1, 2014

September Sieve


I love being bombarded with information. But then ... how to absorb? how to organize? When to cry stop?

I used to have journals made of paper, but not now. Last month whenever a word or idea or quote struck me I copied it into the day in i-cal. That's them, below. Perhaps they make no sense, but that is how my attention works. Many are from the NYTimes, Art Daily, and other art sites. Quotation marks and references are scant. But they all went into the sieve that is my mind, and some will stick. Maybe you can have fun with this technique too.

  • Line. artists may work with line to precisely render contours or as calligraphy on the drawing’s surface; apply touch to build tonal values or erase edges; and use traced marks to suggest elements of an imagined topography.
  • Indeed, I am not sure that I can grow as an artist until I can bring myself to accept that I am one. -- Anne Truitt, sculptor
  • Marlene Dumas (Cape Town, South Africa, 1953) is considered one of the most significant and influential painters working today. Her emotionally charged paintings and drawings address existentialist themes such as eroticism, grief and shame while frequently referencing art-historical motifs and current political issues. Her work also reflects on new possibilities meanings that painting can still have today, in an era dominated by visual culture.   artdaily.com
  • should stop hiding who I am for fear of shocking people. He says the best way to stand up for my principles is to actually live by them. (don't remember where I read this ... )
  • Lilt and Twinkle
  • painting-as-writing (or, as the Abstract Expressionist progenitor John Graham called it, “écriture.”)
  • unhelpful
  • “We can approach our lives as artists, each and every one of us,” he said. “It’s a choice people have. You don’t have to make houses the way people always have. If you choose to, you can make every action a creative act.”  Rick Lowe
  • finding my own voice came as a result of practice, focus, solitary work, and devoting myself to themes that captured my heart.  --  (not me, someone said this and I love it.)
  • What vegetable couldn’t use a blast of garlic and ginger and a hot pepper or two?
  • If a woman wants to do substantive work of any kind, she’s going to be criticized. Education is about growing bolder and larger.
  • When I take pictures I think about nothing.  -- Issei Suda


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.