Oct 27, 2014

Large life

Catherine the Great: Portrait of a WomanCatherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman by Robert K. Massie
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Catherine started with ambition and intelligence. Fate and a scheming mother landed her a rather creepy husband, who was destined for the Russian throne. He preferred his dogs, so Catherine had lots of time to read and embrace the ideas of the Enlightenment. Eventually Empress Elizabeth died, as did Catherine's husband, and Russia toppled her way. From then on I needed a map as I read. I especially liked learning about Crimea. Catherine wrote and wrote, so there are lots of quotes. Robert Massie tells a smooth and sympathetic story of a magnificent life.(less)


View all my reviews

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.