Aug 26, 2014

Tupelo sweet stop




When you get to where State Route 267 meets US 98 in a lonesome part of Wakulla County, and feel maybe you're on the wrong road, Preston Bozeman  makes you glad you're there.  He sells tupelo honey off the hood of his white pickup not far from the entrance to St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge. Yesterday I bought four two-pound jars of it at $14 and some cents (I forget!) each. I heard that tupelo is scarce this year, so I want to stock up. thinking maybe I'll even give some to Mary. Mr. Bozeman told me he expects the barrels to empty before mid-April, when the season will start again. The bees make this "Cadillac of all Honey" for just a month, until mid-May, he said. Last spring's freeze killed blossoms, so this year's batch is smaller than some. You can find Mr. Bozeman on your way to St. Marks every day but Sunday and the fourth Thursday of each month, when he's in Tallahassee, on Thomasville Road just north of I-10.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.