Apr 8, 2013

Encaustic love

Sunset flower
silk, wood, encaustic
3 1/2" x 5" x 1 1/2"

I love to make encaustic art! That's because I love texture and wood. (Dad's workshop smelled like sawdust.) Since encaustic is painting on or with wax, it's got to have a firm base: the wood. I made this little sunset flower in Amanda Wilke's encaustic collage workshop at LeMoyne yesterday. It started as just the stem, leaves, and pink circle on orange background. They are silk. This I glued to a scrap of wood  from the shed. I covered it with a layer of melted beeswax, which hardened immediately. Then I got something sharp and drew petals, and painted over that. I love the result. It doesn't need hanging -- just set it on a shelf. This is one technique I'm going to make my own! 

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.