Feb 12, 2013

Pralines

Pralines with rubber ball that lights up when you  catch it


Pralines aren't exactly pretty, but they are delicious -- especially at Mardi gras. (OK, my photo doesn't do them justice.)
I made these this morning, toasting the pecans 8-10 minutes first. Also, I used my favorite tool, the immersion blender, for beating them when the temperature reached 220°.  If you do that, be sure to stop as soon as it looks creamy. I cut four pieces of wax paper, each one the length of a cookie sheet. Then I cut them in half lengthwise and four times crosswise. I placed the pralines one to a piece. This way the pralines were ready to be wrapped when cool. I've tried other recipes, and this is the only one that calls for a cup of cream. Just rich enough and sweet enough.

I couldn't make the link go directly to the Epicurious recipe, so I've copied it here, with a few changes.

Pralines

  • 2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, cut into bits
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 1/2 cups pecan halves, toasted
print a shopping list for this recipe

preparation

In a heavy 2-quart saucepan combine the sugars, the cream, the salt, and the cream of tartar, cook the mixture over moderate heat, stirring and washing down any sugar crystals clinging to the side with damp paper towels  until the sugar is dissolved, and boil it over moderately high heat, undisturbed, until a candy thermometer registers 238°F. Remove the pan from the heat, let the mixture cool until the candy thermometer registers 220°F., and stir in the butter and the vanilla. Beat the mixture until it is creamy and stir in the pecan halves. Working quickly, drop the mixture by tablespoon onto the wax paper pieces and let the pralines cool. Store them in airtight container in a cool place. The pralines keep for 2 weeks. But that's unlikely!


Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pralines-13543#ixzz2KigCcmCR

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.