Dec 18, 2012

Chili and Cornbread

Dear Teresa,
Yes, after 40 years your chili recipe is still the best! I wonder if you still make it. I remember it came from a book of recipes for diabetics. You were interested in good nutrition way before the rest of us. I made it Sunday and shared some with a neighbor whose husband always did the cooking. When he died she was reduced to take-out every day. She really appreciated your chili. So did we!

Teresa's Chili

2 pounds lean round steak (I often use less -- Sunday it was a pound of London broil. I've used hamburger too, and then it's very quick.
4 C. sliced onions
4 cloves garlic, smashed
2 T. bacon bits (I use about 1/8 pound real bacon.)
4 T. chili powder
1 T. flour
1 can tomato juice (I use tomato sauce and water usually.)
1 large can tomatoes
3 bay leaves
1 t. salt
1 T. dried oregano
1 T. wine vinegar
2 t. light corn syrup (I use honey.)
2 C. red kidney beans (I usually use dried beans and cook them ahead of time, but this time I used organic canned beans, and they are good.)

Cut the meat into cubes, removing fat. Brown meat in an iron skillet. Remove and set aside. Fry the bacon, if using it. Remove when crisp and then sauté the onions until slightly brown and clear. Mix the chili powder with flour in a small bowl, and add enough tomato juice to make a paste. (If using tomato paste, add a little and then some water.) Add it to the onions. Put this in a large pan with a lid. Add meat and the can of tomatoes and remaining juice or tomato sauce. If using sauce, add some water. I added somewhere between one and two cups. Simmer 1/2 hour.

Add the rest of the ingredients, except beans.  Cover and simmer 2 hours. Add the kidney beans 15 minutes before serving.

We warm the beans and serve them on the side.

This is great with cornbread, and this is the easiest recipe I know.

Cornbread

Melt 3 T. butter in a 10" skillet in a 500° oven (yes, that hot!).
Mix together
1 C. cornmeal
1/2 C. flour
1/2 teaspoon each: salt, soda, baking powder
1/2 T. sugar

Add
one egg
1 C. buttermilk

Pour into hot iron skillet. (I tried my expensive other skillet, and it turned out badly.)  Swirl it around so the butter gets mixed in, but not completely. Bake until firm, about 10 minutes.

This makes a kind of dry cornbread, so we like to add a small can of corn to the batter.









1 comment:

Lesley Valdes said...

YAy, this sounds great, thank you Kathleen and Teresa!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.