May 17, 2012

Faith Ringgold at FSU



Last Friday I went with Jennifer to see artist Faith Ringgold at FSU. Campus was quiet -- empty of students -- and we seemed to be approaching a likewise tidy, traditional red-brick college building. But recently-renovated William Johnston Building is eye-popping inside. Even the ceilings are stuning, and at the far end of a five-story interior atrium glitters a sculpture (by Rob Ley) of woven steel going all the way up. The lecture hall is roomy, comfortable, and intimate. So far so good!

Ms. Ringgold was even brighter than her surroundings. (I expected a rather tired speaker, to tell the truth.) Her inimitable images illustrated her talk. A Google search will lead you to her bio and paintings -- many of which are layered and quilted. So here are tidbits from Friday, reflecting on a life in art:

"I decided I wanted to be an artist ... I had to decide, what kind of pictures was I going to make?"
"It's a lifetime of work, being a painter."
"In the '60s I became a mature artist. I just decided it myself: I was a mature artist."
"Art has to be about the artist."
"You have to take that chance (to reveal yourself through art).  If you're not willing to take that chance, then I don't think you should do it."

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.