Mar 28, 2011

Texture



I love the parts of The Walker -- all of them. It has to do with negotiating so many choices: what to add, what to eliminate, what to paint, what to paint over. I got intimate with this piece. In the end, I only love the pieces. There's something fragmented about the whole. It reminds me of falling in love with the words I used to write, but not liking the final story. I'm thinking of chopping this Walker quilt into pieces.

For reference, here are the steps (those I remember -- I know I've skipped some) in making this:

1. I cut the 4 top pieces ( not the one with the words on it because I needed more time to create that fabric) out in different sky/water colors.
2. I sewed them together.
3. Then I tried to collage them. They were too limp.
4.I cut the bottom as one piece.
5. Then I gessoed the base.
6. I can't remember if I also stuck the pieced top to the muslin with half and half glue/ water. I think I did.
7. I tried to machine-baste the top to the muslin base. It was too stiff & wide to sew down the middle. It was like trying to run a sewing machine down the middle of a surfboard.
8. Then I treated each of the four (5, counting the words) pieces individually. I decorated each one, sewing, gluing, painting.
9. I made each into a quilt sandwich, with thinnest batting available & a muslin back. I free-motion quilted each.
10. Then I zig-zagged all the edges, going around each piece
11. I sewed the quilt back together, zig-zagging with invisible thread.
12. I added final paint & sand, etc.

2 comments:

susan s said...

I love the quilt and I love your comments - the evolution of a project and flowing with it. How our art reflects life. The need to make choices. The courage of breaking up the whole! I'm thinking of how the November day quilt actually looked better as separate pieces after all. Wonderful!

Kathleen said...

Thank you for being part of this!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.