Mar 17, 2011

Beach Walk


Because I've touched it again & again, I love every inch of this ... quilt... is that what it is? It's not the peaceful piece I envisioned; it's bumpy & imperfect. It's not soft, either. Gesso stiffened the fabric base, so it was like quilting a surfboard. I cut it into three: storm cloud, sun-reflective sky, the Gulf & wordy beach. These I layered with oil & acrylic paint, sand, shells, papers, silks, cottons, tulle, lace, sequin waste. Then I sewed them back together. The words? a choppy lament and/or hopeful facts. I learned that violet makes a better shadow than black. 65" x 23"

5 comments:

Jess in FL said...

Pretty! So, do you like the way it turned out with the embellishments? I am really bad about not wanting to put embellishments on my projects, I always worry that they won't visually integrate into the quilt and it will look like it has chickenpox!

Kathleen said...

I loved working with lots of stuff, not just fabric. And I mean LOVED. The world is deeply, highly textured, & I felt like I was part of creation, making it. But the quilt is not integrated. I don't think it's the embellishment. (I don't care for that term--it implies lovely but superfluous.) Later I streaked mauve paint across the center sky, & a little on the water, to unify. Also, the storm cloud is little squares. Probably swoops would be more in tune. I love each part anyway, & the whole too. Thanks for noticing!

Cindy said...

Kathleen - this is something that I have CRAVED to do. And thought there was something wrong with me!!

Shouldn't I want to simply learn how to make those beautiful quilts with the patterns and the fabric?

You've (once again) inspired me deeply!!!

Cindy

Kathleen said...

I started with that mindset too. There are all kinds of quilts and all are art. Why don't you play with making something?

Cindy said...

I will! I am! I've created a room already ... and my daughter (who knows how to do some quilting) is primed to get me started...

But to be able to mess with it, and add to it, and oh...all that! It's how I do art anyway and now to know I don't have to "clean up" to quilt!!

What joy!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.