May 29, 2010

Mom's slaw

Mom never bought ready-cut slaw. And she's right – cutting your own is not that hard, & it's better because it's all different sizes, not uniformly perfect like the machine-cut stuff. Besides, you can say, "I did it myself." Her dressing is perfect, sweet-sour, & easy.

Mom's slaw dressing

Sprinkle 1/2 C. sugar (I use about 1/4 C.) over 1/2 head thin-sliced cabbage.
Add 1 green pepper & 1 green onion, chopped. (Sometimes I skip this. Sometimes I grate in a little regular onion.)
In a small pan mix 1/3 C. vinegar, 1/3 C. oil (I use corn oil.), 1/2 t. salt, 1/2 t. celery seed, 1/2 t. dry mustard. Bring it to a boil. Pour over the slaw. That's it. If you eat it right away it will be crispy, but it keeps well if you don't mind soggy slaw. Clark prefers it that way.

Variation: Mom would sometimes fry a few strips of bacon & use the drippings instead of the oil. Take out the bacon & drain it. Add the rest of the dressing ingredients to the skillet & bring to a boil. After you pour it on the cabbage, mix, & add the crumbled bacon.

2 comments:

Lesley said...

Wow I have wanted a good recipe for cole slaw dressing. Thank you. Didn't know to boil it.

Kathleen said...

I'll tell my Mom you appreciate it! That's all. I think this is German. There's another good slaw dressing somewhere here, for red cabbage, but works with green.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.