Nov 3, 2018

Art crop blooms on Yolo County farms

Written last night:
Dear Friends,

I just got back from an “art gala” at the old hotel in Woodland, the center of rural Yolo Countyacross the Sacramento River from Sacramento.  The hotel has become a party venue with a 1928 vibe. Its patio and reception rooms were crammed with party-goers, art, wine, music and food from the area. The art was all farm-related somehow — made by participants in the Art and Ag Project, in which farms welcome artists to paint there.  I’ve gone to three of those Saturdays to sketch and love the beauty. My friends bid on a painting of a farmer with a cow nibbling his ear, but someone else bid more.

It was one of those evenings when you wander the room, talking loud, I tasted wheat berry salad from Full Belly Farm, a Swedish meatball, an Italian meatball, mocha from a drive-through coffee shop, talked to the owner of Haag Walnuts of Esparto (She admonished me to say plants grow in soil, not  dirt ), and avoided  many, many wine tasting booths.  I didn’t drink because I wanted to find my way home, but maybe next year I’ll find a hotel where I can spend the night in Woodland.   

Love,
k

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.