Nov 29, 2015

Flower Series 6: Success??


Bright flowers
12" x 12"
acrylic
I planned a series of quilts inspired by flowers, mandalas and the Brazilian artist Beatriz Milhazes. Months later I have a stack of acrylic paintings. One is a mandala, all have flowers, and  I see Milhazes in their layers and colors. My niece Gretchen got me started painting a pineapple for her. Since then I've painted on cotton, drew with stitch, and collaged with fabric and paint. But there is no series as planned.

Instead, I'm on a discovery trail and loving it. 
  1. For inspiration, give me flowers -- they are more than mere petals and stems!
  2. And give me paint to mess with. Yesterday I read about an artist who paints with his fingers, wearing plastic gloves. I'm more of a natural mess; I love my fingers all gooey with colors. (Paintbrushes also have a place. ) For me, precision is in the feel of the finished piece, not perfection according to plan. I must discover a way to make messy quilts, with undefined edges 
  3. For now  I'll skip "meaningful" (or political) work. The world is such a tumble, but direct defiance is not my best response. (Embracing causes has not worked for me,  in either religion or journalism. Or art.)
  4. I'm going to continue painting and sewing and looking and loving. Flowers and paint are not the end. They are leading me somewhere.










1 comment:

Midori Okasako said...

happy forms and colors, makes me smile! ~midori

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.