Apr 9, 2015

Azaleas

Azaleas
21 1/2" x 21 1/2"
Cotton, tulle, flowers, silk, gilt
stitch, paint

Azaleas detail
Center of large flower is an azalea blossom from our garden

Azaleas process
I started with some azalea drawings I made in my big sketchbook. I enlarged this one (on the right),  traced it, and made a model from buckram, and cut the flower from an old silk shirt.  Eventually this flower was abandoned!


Azaleas process
3 strips of cotton at ratio 1.6:1: 1.6
Paint, print, stencil with acrylics

Testing paint colors and fabric for flowers

Playing with color and placement of flowers

Testing color for backing
You can see a light purple at the top and right edge. Didn't like it!


Attaching Mistyfuse to back of fabric. Flaws are because I removed the ironing cloth 
before cotton was cool

Azaleas process
Backing is Timtex, a stiff support that shows about 1/2" on each side. 
Cut Timtex the same size as completed art. The dark purple Kona cotton is 2” more, so it can wrap around the Timtex and leave a 1" "border" on the back. I added a piece of muslin over this. Before attaching, I put Fray-check on the edges and attached a rod pocket and a label. For adhesive on the back, I used Mistyfuse. 

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.