Mar 3, 2015

Sunday''s subject: Composition



Sunday's subject at LeMoyne Center for the Visual Arts  was Composition: the Rule of Thirds, the Golden Ratio, and the 1:1.6 ratio. The last two are related.
Here's a succinct video that explains the first two terms.  
Amanda Wilke, our teacher, showed us how the Golden Ratio applies to Leonardo Da Vinci's Mona Lisa. Here's an explanation of that and lots of other mathematics Leonardo knew and used. If you read The Da Vinci Code it might ring a bell.
Next week we’re talking about line and pattern. The following week is color and the final week is a wrap-up of all and any questions/special interests we bring up. 
At the end of the class we applied what we’d learned, using pages from magazines. That's mine, above. I did the division into threes, all right, but when I got home I saw the demon that haunts me: I'll work and work and think a piece is finished, only to discover I've inadvertently placed a bullseye in the center, like that black splotch in this piece. Never noticed it as I was working, but it sticks out taunting me now.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.