May 26, 2014

Bridge: Arc in Air

Bridge
20 1/4" x 16 1/2"

This is Bridge, my piece in the Florida in Fabric II exhibit at the Ruth Funk Center for Textile Arts in Melbourne. If you get to Melbourne you can see it through August 23. It won a Director's Choice mention.

I love to run across bridges, and in this piece I'm trying -- through flying words, shiny fish, and translucent color -- to convey what it feels like to be in the middle of a bridge on a gorgeous day. The arc reminds me of the William Powell Bridge in Miami, and the words are the first stanza of a poem I wrote about the marvelous people I have encountered on that bridge over the years -- including a one-legged woman who ran across on crutches, a man who always ran backward, and the faithful who on some Sundays were baptized in the shallow water on the far side.

 I sewed the introductory first stanza using free-motion stitches:

Arc in air
blue air
blue air shining
shining like bait fish
fish in a silver net
caught in the sky

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.