Apr 13, 2014

Gougères du Soleil

Dear Mary,

Right after you texted for my recipe for Gruyère popovers I panicked. Haven't made them in so long ... where is that recipe?? I recently gave away some old cookbooks -- those I thought had not a single good recipe. Maybe I gave that great recipe away!! At first I couldn't find it, and I called Patrice, at all three numbers, but no answer. 

Then I did find it, because I would never give away my Classic Cuisine of Provence by Diane Holuigue. 

I know you're in a hurry. Here it is. (And will you text me a photo of the finished puffs so I can use it here? ) OK, OK, here's the recipe:

Gougères du Soleil

Pastry
1 C. cold water
pinch salt
5 T. butter, diced
1 1/4 C. flour
4 small eggs

Filling
1/3 C Gruyère cheese
salt
pepper

And these ingredients, which I don't add:
10 anchovy fillets, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
10 black olives, pitted and diced
4 sun-dried tomatoes,diced

The choux pastry: Place cold water in a saucepan with the salt and butter. Bring to the boil, stirring to make sure the butter melts completely by the time the water boils. (Further boiling evaporates the water, so just bring it to the boiling point.)

Remove from heat and add the flour, all at once. Stir well, with wooden spatula, then return to stove for the count of 20, or until the mixture rolls off the sides of the saucepan and clings in a ball to the spatula. Remove from heat again. Add the eggs, two at a time, stirring in completely each time. 

Fold the filling ingredients into the pastry. When Patrice and I would make these for Christmas Eve,  we might have added more cheese, but be careful. 

Spoon into small balls on a lightly greased baking sheet, well-spaced to allow for swelling. We used to make then into a circle like a wreath -- with a little space between them. Then you can pull them apart. 

Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes, reducing heat if they brown too early. Remove when golden brown. Best served immediately out of the oven.

They'll go fast, so don't forget to photo them quick!







No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.