Jun 17, 2012

Mary's Almond Cake


I'd forgotten how good this is. It's simple, too.

Mary's Almond Cake

Mix:
3/4 C. butter
3/4 C. sugar
12 ounces almond paste

Add:
grated zest of one lemon
grated zest of one orange
1 tsp. brandy (optional)
1 tsp. vanilla (I skipped the brandy and made it two tsp. vanilla.)
1/2 tsp. almond extract

Add:
5 eggs
Beat, but not too much. You don' want the top of the cake to end up frothy.

Add:
1/2 C. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder

Butter a 9" round cake pan and cut a circle of parchment or waxed paper to go in the bottom of it. Butter the parchment too. Pour batter into pan. Bake at 325° for 45-55 minutes, until the cake shrinks from the sides. Cool. Top with a glaze of 2 T. apricot jam, warmed with 1 T. water. (I prefer confectioners' sugar  and water.) Sprinkle with slivered, roasted almonds.


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.