Nov 24, 2011

Pumpkin Pie


This year I discovered heavenly little pumpkins with green and white stripes. But I'm making our Thanksgiving pie from a can. I remember copying this recipe from a magazine in the Miami Shores library a long time ago. It remains delicious.

Pumpkin Pie

2 C. pumpkin (I use a 15 oz. can -- a little less than 2 C.)
3/4 C. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. ginger
1/2 t. nutmeg (or more -- preferably fresh-grated)
3 eggs
1/2 C milk
1/4 C. bourbon (or more milk)
1 t. vanilla if you don't use bourbon
3/4 C. whipping cream.

Make pastry. Line a 9-inch pie pan with it. Make the ridges along the sides high and strong.
Put a thin layer of apricot jam n the bottom as a glaze. Mix all the above ingredients. (I use a mixer, but not necessary.) Fill the pie crust. I put the pie pan on a foil-lined cookie sheet because this fills the pie pan to the top and usually drips some. Bake 15 minutes at 425° and then 30-40 min. at 350°. Cool the pie.

Topping

Melt 3 T. butter in a small saucepan. Add  2/3 C. brown sugar, 1 T. whipping cream, and 1/8 t. salt. Cook it gently until the sugar melts and a tiny bit after that.  Spread it on the cooled pie. Put foil over the pastry edges so they don't burn, and broil until the topping bubbles.



No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.